Definition of Shared Hosting Services
A shared hosting service pertains to storing and/or sharing particular web content on a hosting server managed by a shared hosting distributor. There are different groups of hosting services used for various goals, so let's take a gaze at them. In this way, you can choose what you want, based on whether you desire to have a website, mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service delivered by particular web hosts, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages are often supported by showing adverts next to the download links, while a timer makes you await a given period of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud shared hosting". This is a totally fallacious explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud shared hosting system would allot the tasks at hand between different stacks of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various shared hosting services (mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a brand of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud shared hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; given corporations offer a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting variant is suitable if you wish to share an enormous quantity of images with comrades or acquaintances since the solution is mostly free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to managing your e-mail addresses. Some vendors offer shared hosting services for sites, but do not offer an email hosting solution. If you wish to possess an e-mail address with your domain but do not want to own a website, then the e-mail shared hosting solution is what you require. You can create e-mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domain. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video file creates a specific amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred web site viewers, you may have a problem with your shared hosting quotas. Embedding the video file will allow you to possess as many video files as you want to without worrying about system quotas.
- Shared hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to possess a web site. To some extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting groups since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and mail address accounts, upload videos, and so on. At you can see shared shared hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one place. There may be limitations based on the kind of shared hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared web hosting package, a VPS hosting or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your shared hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are created for specific content only.